Health risk due to nanoparticles
Previous studies describe the negative impacts of ultrafine particles on health based on vague benchmarks. With the testo DiSCmini, it is now possible to measure the particle number concentration and surface area of occurent nanoparticles, LDSA (Lung Deposited Surface Area).
Typical applications of the DiSCmini include the determination of personal exposure in particle-contaminated workplaces (for example due to diesel soot, welding fumes and industrial nanoparticles) or in vulnerable groups (such as asthmatics or COPD patients). In addition to this, the testo DiSCmini offers various application possibilities in different disciplines of scientific research.
The small size of the testo DiSCmini makes the instrument particularly suitable for mobile on-site measuring tasks and the set-up of networks for the monitoring of ambient air. Thanks to the measurement rate with a time resolution of 1 Hz for all three measurement parameters, you also identify quick alterations in the aerosol number.
testo DiSCmini at a glance
- Hand-held nanoparticle counter for measuring the number and average diameter of nanoparticles, with a time resolution of up to 1 second (1 Hz)
- Simultaneous recording of particle number concentration and particle size enables you to determine other characteristic parameters such as particle surface area (Lung Deposited Surface Area, LDSA)
- Battery operation with a service life of up to 8 hours
- Save the data on a memory card and transfer it to an external computer via USB
- No operating resources such as working fluid or radioactive sources are needed – the testo DiSCmini can be operated over extended periods in any position
- No operating resources such as working fluid or radioactive sources are needed – the testo DiSCmini can be operated over extended periods in any position and with no topping up of any fluid
|General technical data|
|Operating humidity||< 90 %RH, non-condensing|
|Dimensions||180 x 90 x 42.5 mm|
|Operating temperature||+10 to +30 °C|
|Battery life||Typically 8 hours with a fully charged battery, depending on ambient temperature|
|Power supply||Mains unit, 100-120 Volt or 200-240 Volt, 50/60 Hz for charging the batteries|
|Operating air pressure||800 to 1100 mbar absolute
±20 mbar (Delta p max. on the air inlet)
|Particle size||10 to 300 nm (Modal value)
10 to 700 nm (absolute)
|Particle concentration||1000 to 1000000 Particle/cm³ (typical values)
The evaluated particle concentration depends on the particle size distribution and the mean measurement time.
|Accuracy||±30 % typical for size and number
±100 Particle/cm³ absolute in number